9th INTERNATIONAL SHORT STORY CONTEST
OPENING: MARCH 2019
EYELANDS 9th INTERNATIONAL SHORT STORY CONTEST – 2019
The contest runs from March 20th through June 20th, 2019
The theme of the contest this year is «…..»
First prize: A week’s holiday in the island of Crete
First three winners’ stories published in two different anthologies (Greek and English).
All the stories of the shortlist will be published in a special English edition, released through amazon.com & strangedays books.
Entry fee: 10 €
RULES OF THE CONTEST (ENGLISH SECTION)
* Theme of the contest: «……».
*Entries must be short stories, of any genre, and maximum length is 2,500 words and must be previously unpublished in a book, printed magazine or web-based journal. Entries must be in English.
* The contest closes at midnight UTC on 20th of June
*This is an international contest. There is no restriction such as nationality etc of the author, but you have to be 18 years old on the 21st of March 2019 to enter the contest.
* No “eyelands” editor, judge, or relative of theirs, is allowed to enter.
* Entries must be submitted electronically (see below).
* Winners and the shortlist to be announced on September 10th, 2019
* Copyright of manuscripts remains to the author.
* In addition to the story being published on http://www.eyelands.gr, the author’s acceptance of the prize gives eyelands.gr the right to include the story in the anthology that will appear in book form. Entry grants permission to include the three prize winners and the shortlisted stories in the book which will be published and will be available from “Strange Days” publications.
* There is a limit for the stories to be published in the anthology: no more than 25. In case we receive more than 200 submissions, 12 more stories will be chosen and published online on eyelands.gr! Eyelands will feature one story every month, between November 2019 and November 2020
* There will be two collections of stories – one that will be published in Greek including the translated stories of the first three winners of the English Section and another one with all the shortlisted stories of the English Section.
All prize-winners and shortlisted writers have to renew their approval for the publishing of the anthology till the 1st of October, 2019.
PRIZES & HONORABLE MENTIONS
First prize is a week’s holiday on the island of Crete. Three Rock, (Triopetra beach, South Crete) is a studio for 2 people (with beds for two children also available). Air tickets not included. You can see more details here: http://three-rock.blogspot.gr/
First prize winner can choose his/her preferred week of stay in 2020 except for the dates between July 15th – August 30th.
- The three prize winners will also get a free copy of the book with the winning stories of our contest & certification document & a Greek handmade ceramic from the collection of Artifacts plus publication in the anthology of the shortlisted stories of the contest (Greek section), translated in Greek –and of course a free copy of this book too!
First prize winner’s ceramic is not only handmade but specially designed for the specific contest every year.
- All the shortlisted stories will be published in the anthology. The book will be released through “Strange Days” publications and www.amazon.com in November, 2019. All the shortlisted writers will also get a free copy of the book!
- An interview with the first prize winner will also be featured in eyelands.gr
- In case the first prize winner does not claim the prize of a week’s holiday in Crete or does not book a specific week for her/his holidays at Three Rock Studio till the end of the year of the contest, the second (and then the third) prize winner will be notified in order to take her/his place.
NOTE: Free entry for the prizewinners writers of previous contests
ENTRY FORM AND PAYMENT
Pay via paypal – See the banner in eyelands Home Page.
See also here: https://eyelandscontes.wordpress.com/
Click the «buy now» button. Fill the description with: Luggage
Entry fee is 10 euros
Τhere is also the option to make the entry payment via bank/wire transfer. If you choose this option please ask for further details
* After the payment is complete, you can send the e-mail with your story attached in word. doc /docx format to:
writing in the subject line: Eyelands Short Story Contest or just ΕSSC
*An email confirmation that your entry has been received will be sent within three/four days after receiving your e-mail
*We don’t accept postal entries
* We do accept simultaneous submissions
* Every writer can submit more than one story as long as they pay the full entry fee for each story
* Name and address of the author should appear only in the body of the email
*The title of your story can be anything other than ‘’Luggage’’
*There is no entry fee for the prize winners of previous eyelands international short story contests
ABOUT THREE ROCK & TRIOPETRA BEACH
Τhree-Rock is a unique studio with a design that combines a touch from the ’60s with the current look and you can also find all the necessary amenities of a modern tourist accommodation. Designed to accommodate two to four people, the studio is one very large furnished room of 70 sq.m., (with a separate bathroom) with a lot of space which allows you to cook, dine, relax all day if you want and can simply and easily be tailored to your taste. The studio has a large terrace (about 25 square m.) at the front, facing the sea, and a back terrace facing east with a view to the hills. The distance from the beach is just 250 meters.
According to several guidebooks and websites, Triopetra is one of the most beautiful beaches in Crete -and Greece. But it remains a beach that is not known to many people. It has fans (from Greece and abroad) who visit it each year and their number is increasing steadily. Still, it remains a kind of unexplored paradise. Guests are able to enjoy a beach that is never crowded, even in the heart of summer, as the length of Triopetra beach is about two kilometers! The beach is named after the three rocks located at the eastern edge of the bay. In the same area, there is a cave, where there was probably a Sanctuary at the time of the Minoans. The opening of the cave resembles a dragon’s mouth and the arrangement of the rocks inspired the creation of various legends. In modern times, the beach, although reminiscent of an undiscovered paradise, has restaurants, a cafe and a beach bar as well as (free) umbrellas and lounges for those who prefer them. Triopetra beach is also known for yoga courses delivered during the summer months in the surrounding area.
EYELANDS BOOK AWARDS 2019
OPENING: JUNE 2019