EYELANDS 9th INTERNATIONAL SHORT STORY CONTEST
The contest runs from March 20th through June 20th, 2019
The theme of the contest this year is «Round Midnight»
First prize: A week’s holiday in the island of Crete
First three winners’ stories published in two different anthologies (Greek and English).
All the stories of the shortlist will be published in a special English edition, released through amazon.com & strange days books.
Entry fee: 10 €
Judge: Gregory Papadoyiannis
RULES OF THE CONTEST (ENGLISH SECTION)
* Theme of the contest: Round Midnight
*Entries must be short stories, of any genre, and maximum length is 2,500 words and must be previously unpublished in a book, printed magazine or web-based journal. Entries must be in English.
* The contest closes at midnight UTC on 20th of June
*This is an international contest. There is no restriction such as nationality etc of the author, but you have to be 18 years old on the 21st of March 2019 to enter the contest.
* No “eyelands” editor, judge, or relative of theirs, is allowed to enter.
* Entries must be submitted electronically (see below).
* Winners and the shortlist to be announced on September 10th, 2019
* Copyright of manuscripts remains to the author.
* In addition to the story being published on http://www.eyelands.gr, the author’s acceptance of the prize gives eyelands.gr the right to include the story in the anthology that will appear in book form. Entry grants permission to include the three prize winners and the shortlisted stories in the book which will be published and will be available from “Strange Days” publications.
* There is a limit for the stories to be published in the anthology: no more than 25. In case we receive more than 200 submissions, 12 more stories will be chosen and published online on eyelands.gr! Eyelands will feature one story every month, between November 2019 and November 2020
* There will be two collections of stories – one that will be published in Greek including the translated stories of the first three winners of the English Section and another one with all the shortlisted stories of the English Section.
All prize-winners and shortlisted writers have to renew their approval for the publishing of the anthology till the 1st of October, 2019.
*First prize winner will be the judge of next year’s 10th contest!
PRIZES & HONORABLE MENTIONS
First prize is a week’s holiday on the island of Crete. Three Rock, (Triopetra beach, South Crete) is a studio for 2 people (with beds for two children also available). Air tickets not included. You can see more details here: http://three-rock.blogspot.gr/
First prize winner can choose his/her preferred week of stay in 2020 except for the dates between July 15th – August 30th. First prize winner have to decide about the dates of his/her staying till (at the latest) 10th of February 2020.
The three prize winners will also get a free copy of the book with the winning stories of our contest & certification document & a Greek handmade ceramic from the collection of Artifacts plus publication in the anthology of the shortlisted stories of the contest (Greek section), translated in Greek –and of course a free copy of this book too!
First prize winner’s ceramic is not only handmade but specially designed for the specific contest every year.
- All the shortlisted stories will be published in the anthology. The book will be released through “Strange Days” publications and www.amazon.com in November, 2019. All the shortlisted writers will also get a free copy of the book! (We send the books to your address once. In case of return we can’t repeat it).
- An interview with the first prize winner will also be featured in eyelands.gr
- In case the first prize winner does not claim the prize of a week’s holiday in Crete or does not book a specific week for her/his holidays at Three Rock Studio till the end of the 10th of February next year, the second (and then the third) prize winner will be notified in order to take her/his place.
-First prize winner will be the judge of next year’s 10th contest!
NOTE: Free entry for the prizewinners writers of previous contests
ENTRY FORM AND PAYMENT
Pay via paypal – See the banner in eyelands Home Page.
See also here: eyelands.gr
Click the «buy now» button. Fill the description with: EISSC
Entry fee is 10 euros
Τhere is also the option to make the entry payment via bank/wire transfer. If you choose this option please ask for further details
* After the payment is complete, you can send the e-mail with your story attached in word. doc /docx format to:
writing in the subject line: Eyelands Short Story Contest or just ΕSSC
*An email confirmation that your entry has been received will be sent within three/four days after receiving your e-mail
*We don’t accept postal entries
* We do accept simultaneous submissions
* Every writer can submit more than one story as long as they pay the full entry fee for each story
* Name and address of the author should appear only in the body of the email
*The title of your story can be anything other than ‘’Round Midnight’’
*There is no entry fee for the prize winners of previous eyelands international short story contests